3 Reasons For A Flaky Tub
Do you have a flaky tub or a shower with an unsightly peel? Sadly, tubs or showers that have been previously refinished can sometimes flake or peel off.
Reasons For A Peeling Or Flaky Tub
There are three main factors that can lead to a flaky or peeling tub.
- Suction cup bath mats. Unfortunately, using this helpful anti-slip grip solution can cause coating failure. Primarily, this because of mold and mildew. These intruders can accumulate on the bottom of the mat, eating right through the coating! When the mat is lifted, it causes the tub or shower floor to come up along with the mat!
- Improperly cleaned surface. No bond can achieve with the coating if there is a dirt barrier.
- No acid-etch. If the existing glass of the porcelain is not etched-off, the primer has no surface bonding properties. Some companies use a wipe-on-primer that is designed to create a chemical bond to the shiny surface. The truth is, these primers are unreliable and have a shelf life of about 30 days once the can has been opened. Thus, it becomes unstable toward the 30 day mark.
Tuff Tubs uses tried and true methods to knock out its flaky tub opponent with a 1-2-3 punch!
- Two coats of epoxy primer
- Two to three coats of polyurethane resin
Our training and experience have taught us: don’t take any short-cuts when refinishing tubs, showers, or sinks!
“Do it right or don’t do it at all,” is our no compromise business ethic. Give us a call and we can give you a fair, honest, realistic quote right over the phone. Whether you have flaky tub or shower, or need resurfacing, reglazing, refinishing services for your sinks or countertops – we are your reliable remedy for a flaky tub or shower surface.